Sunday, October 26, 2008

That's it for the season - Haulout 2008

We knew it was going to be an interesting day Saturday when we awoke at home to the sound of rain pelting down on the roof. The weather forecast had predicted steady rain and strong winds all week long, and of course they were right. When we arrived at the club shortly before 8am on Saturday, the rain was coming down hard. I rushed down to the travel lift area decked out in my rain gear expecting to see the boat ahead of me already being hauled out. Of course, things weren't moving that fast. It wasn't until 8:20 or so that this boat finally made it over to the mast crane. After 20 mins or so the mast was off and I could move Victura to the crane. I had lots of help Saturday with Vince Wong (Peas & Carrots), Peter Howells (Cassis), Paul Orava (Salty Hacker) and my friend Stuart Gray coming down early to give me a hand. Paul's boat was due to come out right after me, and Peter after lunch. As we pulled Victura over to the mast crane, the rain subsided and we got a bit of a break. As the mast came off, the rain stopped. Everything from there went smoothly and we were even able to wipe the mast dry and wrap it up in plastic. Once Victura was moved to her resting spot in the yard we got to it doing all the winterization. On Sunday, I returned with Stuart and we built the frame for the cover, and despite strong winds and a very threatening sky put the cover on. With the cover on, the rain finaly came. That's it folks for another season.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home